We all remember them! We have all made them at one time or another! Chocolate Rice Krispie treats are a universal favourite! Offer one to just about anyone chances are they are not going to turn it down!
But we are not just melting some marshmallow or chocolate and stirring it into some Rice Krispies. We have taken this crispy little treat one step further! We level up these crispy treats by making a luxurious chocolate caramel and folding that into the cereal. Creating chewy, crunchy squares that are perfect for a taste of your childhood but just grown up enough so that you can take them to parties not exclusively for 6 year olds!
These Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats will make you feel like a kid again, without ever truly elevating the crippling responsibility that comes with being an adult!
- Line an 18cm (7inch) square tin with silicone paper.
- Fill a large pan with an inch of water and bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Put the chocolate into a bowl and place over hot water.
It is important that you do not let the bowl touch the water or the chocolate may overheat causing it to split and go grainy.
- Place the sugar and liquid glucose in a thick based saucepan and add 100ml water. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring to the boil.
- Cook until you achieve a rich golden brown caramel, tilting the pan during cooking in order to colour the caramel evenly. It is really important not to stir the caramel during the cooking, as this can cause the sugar to crystallise.
- Once the caramel is the right colour, remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter to the caramel followed by the cream and stir the mixture together (it is safe to do so now) until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring the mixture to the boil again and cook to 118°C (248°F), stirring gently to make sure it doesn’t catch on the bottom.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the melted chocolate and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the chocolate caramel over the Rice Krispies and fold together gently, taking care not to crush the cereal.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and press down gently, to level and smooth the top.
- Put the tin to one side and leave to cool at room temperature. Once cooled you can cover and refrigerate until needed.
Now all that is left to do is cut it into squares and serve! Feel free to decorate them as you wish! We like to finish them with a little drizzle of white chocolate, but you can go crazy! Why not dip the whole thing in chocolate to encase a crispy chewy surprise for any lucky recipient!
These crispy, chewy delights are amazing so why not give them a go and step up your Rice Krispie Treat game!
Want to change something?
Well don’t fret this recipe can be adapted a number of different ways…
Don’t want to cut squares?
Then just spoon the mixture into muffin cases and leave to set.
Not a fan of Rice Krispies?
Use cornflakes or any cereal you fancy!
Don’t like chocolate?
Leave it out, then just enjoy your Caramel Rice Krispie Squares sans chocolate.
This recipe also makes a fantastic base for desserts or can provide texture hidden away in the middle of a mousse or a cake!
Try it out any way you wish! Go on, relive your childhood for a little bit!
Making crystallised nuts is like watching a magical transformation in front of your very eyes. To be honest it is pretty damn cool!
This Chocolate Mousse Cake is completely encased in a chocolate ring, with hazelnut dentelles to provide crunch, height and a huge wallop of visual impact!
Crisp around the edges, with a moist, almost undercooked fudgy centre, these hazelnut brownies are right combination of every texture a brownie should be!